Monday 15 April 2013

Sylvia in Song

A look at Passage House this morning didn't give much. Redshank numbers have dropped to eight, and Common Sandpipers have increased to three or four, giving good views along the river near Aller Brook. I think it's called Newton Channel. One even flew right under me while I was standing on the bridge. Hirundine numbers have increased - c20 Swallow and c10 Sand Martin, some around Passage House, but most were over the racecourse.

I saw two Willow Warblers at Hackney Marshes but didn't hear any sing. As always, the Cetti's were being very vocal, as well as four Blackcaps now all in full song. The highlight of the morning came when I was walking back along the racecourse and heard a hurried scratchy warble coming from the brambles in between the path and the railway. I raised my bins and saw my first Whitethroat of the year. They seem to be quite late this year. Not many have been reported so far.

News from Kev yesterday: There were nine Turnstone, a Sandwich Tern and a Wheatear on the Salty, and offshore there were eight Common Scoter and four Shoveler which are new for the year. Shoveler are pretty rare on the estuary so it's nice to get some offshore.

No comments:

Post a Comment