Monday 7 July 2014

The first summer Med

There was a good gathering of 200+ Black-headed Gulls roosting at Passage House over high tide today, mainly due to it being race day on the racecourse where they would normally roost. On my third scan through them I found the first Mediterranean Gull of the summer, a 1st summer. Luckily it came close enough for some photos...


This is where I first found it...

Why not test your Med finding skills - zoom in and let me know if you can see it!
And here's a picture of the Green Sandpiper in the quarry - my first for the patch. Looking back at the WeBS records there were a few at Passage House during the 60s and 70s with a maximum count of 13 in August of 1974! After this though, the species has become very rare locally, and the only other recent record is a bird that Kev heard calling over Newton Abbot.

Very slender

No comments:

Post a Comment