Tuesday 31 December 2013

A Glauc end to the year

The last day of 2013 provided some unexpected excitement with the discovery of a first-winter Glaucous Gull on the estuary (found by Matt Knott - nice one Matt). I got down to Lower Netherton at around midday and after a slightly fraught search picked up the bird midway out opposite the caravan park. It seemed fairly settled, occasionally preening and bathing with other gulls.


In a last-ditch (and ultimately doomed) attempt to add Marsh Tit to my patch year list, I headed to Decoy Park late afternoon, where I battled hordes of children and dogs to see not very much although the drake Scaup continues its winter residence there.

I won't attempt to do a summary of the year, not least because I'm not very good at that sort of thing, but there have certainly been some great birds seen around the Teign Estuary in 2013 - Bonaparte's Gull, Ring Ousel, Scaup, Little Stint, Black Redstart and Firecrest are a few that spring to mind - and with the increased coverage there can only be more goodies to come in 2014. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment