Saturday 23 March 2013

Two Spring Migrants - Two Patch Year Ticks

After seeing a report of a good fall at Exmouth this morning, I immediately wanted to go to Bundle Head to see if we'd got one as well. So when mum suggested going for a walk, I suggested going there.

The Ness - Bundle Head

Here is the area of headland between Bundle Head and The Ness on a very gloomy, misty day - perfect fall conditions. In the field shown in the picture, there were lots of Meadow Pipits, probably about 100. I expect they were all migrants. In the field just beyond the tree on the right, there were about 7 or 8 Wheatears, mostly all handsome looking males. I hadn't bothered to take my scope so couldn't get any good pictures, but I tried my best at digibining them. However, as you can see from the pictures below, I am not that good at it!

 
You may need to click on this and press CTRL + to zoom in. There are two Wheatears in this picture - can you find them both?

About 10 seconds after I took the picture of Bundle Head to The Ness, I checked the hedgerow on the right of the photo and found this.

The one on the right.

If you haven't worked out what it is from the photo yet, it's a Ring Ouzel! Another new bird for the patch as far as I know. You can just about see the white chest in the photo. In my binoculars, although distant, I could see the lovely silvery wings too. Fantastic bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment