Saturday 11 January 2014

Black Redstart on my roof!

Having missed out on the Black-necked Grebes midweek (they were gone the morning after they were discovered) I was hoping for some better fortune this morning. In beautifully sunny, calm conditions it felt almost spring-like as I walked around Decoy Country Park; Goldcrests and Song Thrushes were singing , with Great Tits and Nuthatches also particularly vocal. A Marsh Tit showed nicely by the lake, and three Raven passed overhead. On the lake itself, little change - the drake Scaup, drake Gadwall and Great Crested Grebe remain with 31 Tufted Duck, while 23 Mute Swan seemed like a good count.

With other plans for the day I headed home mid-morning and as I pulled into my driveway a small dark bird flew up from the front garden onto my roof - a female type Black Redstart! Scrambling for my phone to take a record shot, it flew into the tree beside my car before proceeding to forage in a neighbour's garden. Not a bad bird for the house list!


No comments:

Post a Comment