Sunday 6 October 2013

Weekend round-up

This morning I watched the Passage House area for an hour on the falling tide. Nothing outstanding but I did see my first two Lapwing of the autumn, plus a Grey Plover, 70 Curlew, 52 Little Egret, 7 Grey Heron, 3+ Sandwich Tern, four Little Grebe, a Kingfisher and a Rock Pipit.

Yesterday I acted on a last-minute impulse and took a day trip to the Isles of Scilly, my first visit to the archipelago. It proved worthwhile with one lifer - an Arctic Warbler - and a supporting cast that included a Bluethroat, a Yellow-browed Warbler and a Purple Heron that I jammed in flight whilst waiting for my plane back. It goes without saying that any of these would be welcomed on the Teign!

On Friday I took a mid-morning stroll between The Ness and Bundle Head. Migrant numbers were generally low, with just three Chiffchaff, two Goldcrest and a Blackcap. Overhead there was some movement, with c.15 Swallow heading south, 12 Skylark moving in the opposite direction, and at least 25 Meadow Pipit loafing about.

View across to Teignmouth from Shaldon golf course

2 comments: