Monday 15 July 2013

Cattle Egret?! And Sanderling at Passage House!

On my walk down to the estuary today I met a local man walking his dog along the river. He had bins and a notebook packed with bird sightings from the local area, so this made me trust what he said. So when he told me he had seen a CATTLE EGRET last Thursday, I believed him. He saw it on the edge of the river near Aller Brook and described it as a small hunched white egret with an orange beak – sounds good to me! Annoyed I missed it, but it’s still a reminder to check EVERY egret you see!

When I got onto the estuary, I did a check of the gulls – nothing of interest at all. Then counted eight Whimbrel, a very good count for this time of year, and found the Black-tailed Godwit. Then I remembered the three Dunlin I saw yesterday and tried to find them. It didn’t take long. Then I realised that they had been joined by a fourth small sandpiper. A Sanderling!! In summer plumage as well! A VERY good record for Passage House. I quickly took a distant record shot and sent texts out (unfortunately not to Kev who still needed it for Passage House as I didn’t have his phone number!).


I then ran as fast as the slippery ground would allow around to the other side to get closer. On my way I found this... 

Early returner or breeding on site?!
I quickly re-found the group, which had gained an extra Dunlin! Will arrived soon after, after a mini 30 minute twitch, and we both admired the bird. Hopefully it will stay for a while and Kev will get it on his list.


Definitely gives me hope for Curlew Sand and Little Stint in a few weeks time.

Here are some photos taken by Tom Whiley yesterday...

© Tom Whiley
© Tom Whiley
Superb photos Tom, thanks :-)

The Common Sand had an injured leg which the local Sparrowhawk noticed, and it attempted to catch it in mid air!

No comments:

Post a Comment