Sunday 12 August 2018

Pom skuas

Short seawatch from Teignmouth yacht club 09:55 - 11:45. On arrival the rain had cleared and the light was was pretty good, and I almost immediately picked up a couple of adult / near-adult Pomarine Skuas powering their way south albeit fairly distantly. Had the skuas passed five minutes later I would have missed them as the low cloud soon rolled back in, dramatically reducing visibility just as news of three large shearwater sp. passing Dawlish Warren came through. At about 10:05 I got very brief views of two large shearwater sp. before they disappeared back into the murk, never to be seen again. Things were pretty quiet thereafter, with just a lone Balearic Shearwater, two Arctic Skuas and a skua sp. lingering offshore and finally a Great Skua through at 11:15 shortly after the visibility had begun to improve. In stark contrast to a fortnight ago, no Med Gulls.

2 comments:

  1. Could I see these with 18x bins? I live locally and have never seen sea birds like these... I’m new to sea watching and sort of concerned that they’ll look like specks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, you could see them distantly but you'd be better off with lower magnification bins (up to 10x) and a telescope with 25-40x magnification. I spend most of the time looking through the latter!

    ReplyDelete