Saturday 3 October 2015

Pintails on Decoy

I paid a late afternoon visit to Decoy today and on my initial scan with binoculars picked out a duck on the far side that looked like a Pintail. I quickly set the scope up and sure enough it was one. Quite a rarity for the lake and a patch first for me. I walked around to the other side to get a bit closer, and while watching it, a second Pintail which must have been hiding at the edge of the lake swam into the field of view!

Near the slipway, the male Scaup had returned for another winter and 12 Tufted Ducks were scattered around the lake - there were six on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, Will found a Firecrest at The Ness, Shaldon. This is seemingly becoming a very reliable place to see this species at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment