Sunday 6 July 2014

Are Water Rails breeding?

Whilst scanning the edges of the reeds this morning, I came across a juvenile Water Rail. It was adult sized so not a black ball of fluff. I think it's probably quite likely that it was born somewhere in the Passage House reed bed, but I suppose it's possible that it's an early migrant.

The highlight was probably an adult Little Ringed Plover on the spit. Other wader counts included 73 Curlew, a Whimbrel, a Redshank and five Common Sandpipers. Elsewhere, Robin found a Green Sandpiper, the first of the year.

Taken from the other side of the estuary, hence the poor photo.
Looking through the Black-headed Gulls, I found a darvic ringed bird which was initially too far away to read. Luckily, after keeping my eyes glued to it for half an hour while it slept, it flew fairly close and I was able to see that it was white 27J1.

No comments:

Post a Comment