Sunday 29 September 2013

Belated WeBS

During a belated WeBS count this week I worked the estuary in the following order: Flow Point - The Salty - Flow Point - Passage House from about midday until 2pm. The two visits to Flow Point was my attempt to locate the small waders which was to no avail. The highlight was a Grey Plover at Passage House which are relatively uncommon on the Teign. The reaction as I scanned was a mildly excited initial "Ooh a Plover!" followed by a resigned but contented "oh it's a Grey."

Other counts recorded included 338 Oystercatcher, 130 Curlew, 14 Greenshank, four Redshank, three Common Sandpiper, two Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, 48 Sandwich Tern, 42 Little Egret and four Little Grebe.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dale I was out and about mid-late afternoon and managed to catch up with the Grey Plover and the godwits. I also struggled for small waders at Flow Point but got the Turnstone there again. Not sure if you got any Dunlin but my count for the whole estuary was 23. I also had 65 Little Egrets but you did better than me for Sandwich Terns and Greenshanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Will. I'll add them to the count but make a note that they were seen a bit later.

    ReplyDelete