Saturday 24 August 2013

Passerine migrants

I paid my first visit to Bundle Head this morning, where last night's cloud had begun to break up and there were some fine views across Labrador Bay:


I focused on the sheltered area immediately south of the golf course, which I christened 'The Valley'. There weren't masses of birds but the hedges and scrub there provided some migrant interest, with 3 Willow Warblers, 2 Whitethroats, a Blackcap and a Chiffchaff. Overhead there was a steady (mostly northerly) passage of House Martins with a few Swallows and Sand Martins mixed in. Four Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk were making the most of the morning's first thermals, two Stonechats flitted between patches of bramble, and a juvenile Green Woodpecker was feeding on the golf course.


'The Valley' - looks good for a Wryneck I reckon...

No comments:

Post a Comment