Wednesday 22 May 2013

Mystery Solved

On Sunday we did our WeBS count but there really wasn’t much on the estuary. A total of four waders at my end! Including this Whimbrel which came relatively close considering I was out in the open.


On my way back from the count, I came across a peculiar sounding bird song. Listen to the video and see if you can work out what it is!

Mystery bird song link

I never got a proper view through my binoculars, but from the recording, people seem to be saying that it’s a really odd sounding Blackcap. Well I was able to confirm it is a Blackcap today. It’s a very difficult bird to see. I still only got a really short view of it.

Today I saw my first Spotted Flycatcher of the year. It was feeding on insects above the reads from a single perch in true flycatcher style.

Good looking bird
What are you looking at?!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie

    On youtube, you noted that the spotted flycatcher is from Hackney Marshes. Could you tell me where exactly on the marsh you saw it, please? That's my patch and I'd love to see one so I might revisit the area where you saw it.

    Thanks

    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi Graham,

    It was in the trees behind the reeds where the wooden viewing screen is, on the southern meadow. Hope you manage to see it if it's still there.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, after seeing that you're from London, I fear that we might be thinking of different Hackney Marshes! I'm from Devon!

      Delete
  3. Hi Laurie

    Aha! Devon's Hackney Marshes and not London's. Doh!

    Thanks

    Graham

    ReplyDelete