Thursday 28 March 2013

Another Ouzel

After all the rain we've had recently, the middle part of the racecourse has become slightly flooded. As I was checking to see if there was anything on it (which there wasn't), a bird flew right into my field of view and landed on the white barrier. It had a slightly pale chest band (female or 1st winter) and a silvery wing. Another patch Ring Ouzel! And in a different location. I suppose the racecourse offers a habitat much like that of moorland. After perching for a second or two, it flew into a nearby tree and then dropped down into thick vegetation not to be seen again. Also on the racecourse were 7+ Wheatears and 2 Sand Martins.

The drake Wood Duck was still on the river near the new foot bridge.On Hackney Marshes I heard a Cetti's Warbler call. There were also two Reed Buntings, and I saw a Chiffchaff in a tree! The Firecrest was in it's usual place, ranging along the path just south of the car park. Dale, you must get your camera on it before it moves off.


Will Salmon had a Little Ringed Plover at Passage House yesterday afternoon, but I failed to see it this morning. I suppose it might have moved off in the nice weather. I'll have another look later this afternoon and update this post if I see it.

Update: Didn't see a LRP but saw the Ring Ouzel again in the same place. This morning I said it could have been a 1st winter male, but this afternoon it gave much better views, and I could see that it clearly had a much stronger chest band than I first thought, so it is a female.

On the way back home, at the new footbridge I had incredible views of a female Sparrowhawk plucking a pigeon only 5 metres away. The best view of a Sparrowhawk I have ever had! I'm just so annoyed I forgot my camera!!

Anyway, I'm really pleased so many people were able to see the Ouzel :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment